Friday, June 17, 2011

Want to create your own Pokedex 3D AR cards?

by Jose Martinez

Hey gang,

Are you loving your Pokedex 3D?  Are you wishing that you could fill that sticker book?  Here are some tips to create Pokemon anywhere, or even make them life sized!

I started trying this while on a mad quest to make my Pokemon life sized.  I noticed that the AR cards are basically a 6x6 grid of black and white squares with the outside squares always being black and the inside ones different variations of the black and white.  I found that by doodling the pattern, it would still work and that there was no hidden code inside the AR cards I received at E3.

Tepig popping out of a doodle on a notepad (note: the white squares only need to be blank, not necessarily white)
Filling in all the black squares seemed to me to be a bit of a chore, and also a huge pain since I wanted to create a life sized Pokemon instead of one that fits in the palm of my hand.  So, I moved on to Excel to facilitate the project.  I created the 6x6 grid and printed up my first page sized Pokemon.  Also note that the squares don't have to be perfectly square, my doodle was on regular notebook paper and some lines were not even straight.  The Pokemon will appear as long as the pattern is like the one on the card.

My page sized Zekrom.  Easier to produce, and one step closer to life-sized
So, on to the life sized.  I took the grid I created for the page sized Pokemon and filled it in completely black. Then printed 20 copies for the borders, and eight more for the inside pattern.  You can lay the border down first, and then place blank paper on the inside.  Afterwards, fill in your cut squares in the pattern to match whatever Pokemon you wish to see.  If done properly you should have a life sized Pokemon in the middle of your room!



Here is a mostly complete list of AR codes that I found on lazygamer.com for your Pokemon creation needs:

Almost complete list of all Pokemon 3D AR codes (Click for a larger image)
Hope some of you find this useful, and have fun creating giant Pokemon!

No comments:

Post a Comment